15g chilli powder
• 5g belacan (shrimp paste)
• 4 shallots, sliced, or 2 small onions
• 2 medium onions, sliced
• 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced, use only the bottom 3 inches
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 10g ginger, sliced fresh
• 8g galangal, sliced, fresh
• 10g turmeric powder
• 15m cooking oil
• 10ml lime or lemon juice
• 5g salt
• 10g sugar
• Banana leaves are available in the
Asian frozen foods section
• Whole fish OR fillets
- Place chilli powder in a bowl and add water to make into thick paste.
- Chop belacan into small pieces.
- Roast belacan until brown then allow to cool before blending.
- Place chilli paste, roasted belacan, and all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- If it is too dry, add 1 teaspoon of water until everything blends well.
- Score both sides of whole fish so the marinade can soak in and it will cook better.
- Rub marinade on fish and add salt and then cover and marinate in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place fish in baking tray lined with baking paper and leave whole fish in oven for 20 minutes , depending on size of fish, and drizzle vegetable oil on fish.
- After 20 minutes crank up the oven up 200 degrees to get the charcoal colour.
- Take out from oven and garnish with fresh coriander and freshly sliced chilli.